A tasty dessert made with natural ingredients like barley found in Goose Island IPA. This is an interesting twist on a traditional classic, blending the taste of fruit with the IPA to create a show-stopping sauce.
Prep Notes: For ease, each part of this recipe can be prepared in advance, with the final dish assembled on the night it is to be served. The panacotta can be prepared 2-3 days in advance, the Goose Island IPA strawberry soup 2 days in advance, and the barley flapjack 5 days in advance (if it is stored in an airtight container).
Tip: The barley flapjack will keep well in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.
For the Panacotta
70g caster sugar
2 vanilla pods
2 leaves of gelatine
300ml full fat yogurt
200ml double cream
For the Strawberry Soup
450g strawberries, frozen
100ml Goose Island IPA
50g caster sugar
For Barley Flapjack
125g barley flour
100g barley flakes
125g light soft brown sugar
100g unsalted butter
1 tbsp barley molasses
or golden syrup
100g fresh strawberries
1. Add the gelatine to a small bowl with a little cold water to soften.
2. Split the vanilla pods and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and pods to a small
saucepan with the caster sugar and water. Gently heat until all of the sugar has melted.
Set aside to infuse.
3. Remove the gelatine from the water and squeeze off the excess water. Add to the vanilla
syrup and heat gently until the gelatine has melted. Leave to cool.
4. Mix the yoghurt and cream together in a bowl.
5. Add the cooled vanilla syrup to the yoghurt and cream and mix well.
6. Spoon the mixture into serving glasses and chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours, until set.
For the strawberry Goose Island IPA sauce
1. Place all of the ingredients into a zip lock bag and seal.
2. Place the bag into a pan of simmering water for 15-20 minutes until the strawberries
have released all of their juice.
3. Strain the sauce through a fine strainer, into a small bowl. Do not push the fruit
through the sieve; allow the juice to drain freely.
For the barley flapjack
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/fan 160c/gas 4.
2. Mix the flour, barley flakes and sugar together in a bowl.
3. Heat the remaining ingredients in a small pan, for 2-3 minutes until the butter has
4. Pour the liquid mix on to the dry ingredients, mix well.
5. Spread the mix onto a parchment paper lined 22cm x 22cm baking tray.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Remove the set panacottas from the fridge. Decorate with sliced fresh strawberries and barley flapjack, finish with Goose Island IPA strawberry soup. Serve with a cold bottle of Goose Island IPA.
wordpress theme by initheme.com